Elephant, Rhino, Hippo Exhibit Improvements
The Toledo Zoo
ESA provided site design services for a two phased $14.7 million project. The Toledo Zoo is committed to placing sustainability at the heart of their mission by creating their “Green Guiding Values”. They also established their own “Principles of Green Construction” that were to be followed. All new construction is LEED certified. For this project, ESA evaluated various opportunities for “green” design and LEED credits:
- Site items considered included bio-swales, rain gardens, infiltration, porous pavement, use of storm water for irrigation, recycled materials, drought resistant plantings along with others.
- Incorporated feasible items into final design.
- Provided for separation of existing combined (sanitary and storm) sewers.
- Provided on site design of water, sanitary and storm sewers
- Provided design of new water meter and vault serving various facilities on site.